Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Guest Post from Pig & Paint!



Hey everyone! We have a brand new guest poster today. I've been talking her up something wonderful here, Alison. She's got some great projects to share, as well as her answer to her creative side. Hope you enjoy! P.S. I hit double digits in my followers. To you that might sound underwhelming, but to me, with how I feel like I've worked for that many, I'm quite excited! Now! Onto Alison!
---------------------

Howdy! I am honored to be able to spend some time on Little Homemade Housewife today. My name is Alison, and I write a blog called Pig and Paint, where I feature my adventures in foodie-ville (Pig) and home décor-mania (Paint). First, allow me to tell you a little bit about…um, me. I work for a great company in the wireless telecom industry overseeing marketing and communications, and am married to a pastor. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area -- literally a stone’s throw from Napa – and are parents to a hilarious boxer dog and a crazy parrot. My husband is brilliant! No, seriously – he is.

Mrs. White posed the following question to me, and I really had to give it a lot of thought:

“What would you say is your main creative aesthetic, and how did you start/find it?”

{hmmm…}

Let me start by explaining that I am extremely right-brained (creative) and extremely left-brained (analytical) – there’s not much going on in the middle. So, naturally the frosted side of me wanted to respond with “EVERYTHING!!” but the wheatie side of me pumped the brakes and forced me to really think about what ultimately led me down the road of starting Pig and Paint.

I’ve had a lot of great influencers in my life, who have helped shape who I am today. My mother taught me to be proud of the person God uniquely designed me to be, and to stand up for what I believe in. My dad taught me that with a little determination, some krazy glue and rubber bands, you can fix just about anything – and if you put your mind to it, you CAN do anything you dream. My husband taught me that some of the best experiences in life are, in fact, spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment, and completely unplanned. My mother-in-law taught me to savor life’s precious moments, and that food is a language of love. My sister taught me to truly enjoy the things you love (read that one again…it’s harder than it sounds in today’s “always connected” world). With these great encouragers in my life, I’ve poured myself into my hobbies in a big way.

Food and I are great friends. We hang out after work and on weekends. I love inventing new recipes on the fly, like my Truffled Shepherd’s Pie.



I enjoy following a trusted source’s recipe to a T, like my made-from-scratch mozzarella.



I love putting my own spin on the classics, like my Split Pea Soup with crispy shallots, prosciutto and charred bread.



I am a restaurant hunter. I constantly seek out new and exciting food adventures for my friends and family. But is food my main creative aesthetic?

DIY and craft projects are also good friends of mine. Awww heck, decorating too! One of my proudest moments has been sharing my DIY capiz shell chandelier with the world.



Before that, my painted rug and framed wallpaper were the most exhilarating projects I had tackled to-date, and they make me smile every time I walk by.



Watching a room or a project come together is exciting for me…. But I’m not sure I would label those things as my main creative aesthetic either.

So, if I had to boil it all down into a gooey, caramel-y sauce…..my main creative aesthetic isn’t cooking or eating, decorating or DIYing. It’s simply creating. It’s that sense of determination, coupled with krazy glue, that my dad taught me. It’s loving something because I (me, no one else, Alison) love it, so I’m going to craft it into my own meal, wall art, chandelier, rug, whatever. It’s being able to say “I made that. And I had a good time making it.” Not every project turns out beautiful, but there is beauty in the journey of creating.

Thank you so much to Mrs. White for letting me share my thoughts with y’all today! I hope you all will visit me on Pig and Paint someday soon and share your creations with me.

Cheers!

Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment